Monday, February 15, 2010

July 2004 My First Pregnancy

I remember the first time that I had gone to see the doctor to confirm my suspicion on being pregnant. They did their normal pee test and blood work. After waiting for what seemed like forever I got the confirmation that I was indeed pregnant.
After finding out that I was pregnant I was told that I needed to look for a doctor that would be able to deliver at one of two hospitals that the clinics associated with. I also then needed to consider which doctor would be seeing the child after it was born.
This was all so new to me that I did not think to ask any questions. I went on my way and called the father, who by the way I did not marry, to give him the news. I was so excited. All I could think that I was now starting a family and did not have to worry cause the father would be there. At the same time I was scared. Was I even ready to start a family? I then called my Mom and talked to her about it. She of course was happy for me even though I was not in a great position to be having kids.
A few days went by and I got a call from the doctor who confirmed my pregnancy and was told that I needed to see a special doctor due to a prior medical problem in my past. I was now considered a "High Risk" Pregnancy. Again I asked no questions and made the call to the person to whom I was referred to.
A week or so went by and I was able to see the doctor that I was referred to. To my surprise the father of the child was actually there waiting for me. I was so nervous while sitting in the waiting room. In any case I sat there and waited, and waited and waited. I think I was there for over an hour waiting to see the doctor. Mind you I was only about 5 min early to the appointment. The doctor was not even in the office on time that day and he had other patients to see before me. Problem number 1 noticed. Because the doctor was so late the father was no longer able to stay with me as he had to work. Problem number 2. The rooms were so small that I was not sure how this doctor could properly care for anyone. There was no privacy either. With the rooms being so small you could only fit the patient and the doctor at one time. This upset me a great deal. Problem number 3. I am now being referred to another place that will handle my pregnancy. WTF, now I feel like I am being passed off cause no one cares. Again I asked no questions and called the next place that I was being referred to.
It's now almost the end of July and I sit in another waiting room with the father not knowing what to expect. This time I did not have to wait for a long amount of time. Shortly after getting there we were called to the back where they would do an ultra sound. The office was much larger and so were the rooms. This meant that the father could be there with me. Because I was considered a high risk pregnancy I was able to have an ultra sound earlier than most.
The person who did the ultra sound began.....We found the baby and saw that everything looked normal. As she was about to conclude with the ultra sound we saw another round "something". And wouldn't you know, it was the second baby. OMG I was having identical twins. I was 5 weeks along and I was going to have 2 babies at the same time. I could not believe my eyes. This was not something I had expected but should have know since twins run in both my family and the fathers. My mind started to race on all the things that I would need to get for them.
LOL I remember the father's head just slammed against the back wall as he was also amazed at our outcome.
After the ultra sound I talked with the doctor and was advised that due to previous medical history I would need to take an injectiable medicine called heparin ( blood thinner). Again I did not ask any questions and just assumed that the doctor knew what was best for my and my twins. I also had felt comfortable there and with those that I had met.

And so my pregnancy began. During all of these first few visits with multiple doctors not one of them talked with me about any options I had on taking care of my twins while pregnant nor how or where I would be able to give birth. Why were none of these options talked about is my question. This is my first pregnancy and I of course did not think to do any research on this other than how much it would cost.

1 comment:

  1. It was and will always be the greatest gift that you could have given the "father".

    ReplyDelete