Monday, February 22, 2010

Tubal Ligation, good or bad?

For some of you there is no secret to the amount of pain that I am in and problems I have each month with my menstrual cycle. This has been going on since I had my tubes tied in 2006 and has progressively gotten worse. I go to the ER almost every month to try and find something to alleviate the pain. No solution has been found as of yet and I continue to visit the doctor each month. Now I am wondering if I might have ovarian cysts or maybe even something worse.
With those issues set aside, after talking with a friend of mine and deciding that I would like the option to have another child I started my research. Upon my research I stumbled across something called post tubal ligation syndrome (TLS, PTS, or PTLS). The following is information that I found and some of the sites for them.

Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome (PTLS or PTS), Iatrogenesis, Iatroepidemic, and Ovarian Isolation Defined
Dr. Hufnagel, and the CPTwomen.

Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome: Iatrogenesis affects that create negative health conditions after a tubal ligation or female sterilization surgery. Can be hormonal and or physical in nature. Health changes both physical and hormonal can cause mental health to be affected, causing loss of sexual drive for the woman, memory loss, depression, anger and rage.

Iatrogenesis: A Greek word which means "doctor-caused" or "doctor produced". It is a medical term meaning harm done by doctors, or negative side effect(s) caused by a medical treatment or procedure. The negative side effect(s) can be due to error, negligence, or can be caused by the standard protocol of the treatment.

Iatroepidemic: An epidemic of bad outcomes or negative side effects caused by doctors and their medical treatment(s) and procedures. Examples of iatroepidemics include DES, and Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome (PTLS or PTS)

Adenomyosis: A common iatrogenesis condition of tubal ligation. Causes dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) and pain.



Tubal Ligation Side Effects
Tubal ligation procedure involves surgical blockage of the fallopian tubes, with an objective to prevent fertilization in women. Some of the possible tubal ligation side effects are menstrual problems, hormonal fluctuations, post ligation syndrome and infection.

http://tuballigationreversalfacts.com/post-tubal-ligation-syndrome/
Some of the symptoms are as follows:
Painful and heavy menstrual cycles
Early onset menopause
Severe premenstrual cycle
Decrease or loss of libido
Anxiety
Ectopic pregnancy
Anxiety
Vaginal dryness
Palpitations
Hot flashes
Cold flashes
Problems sleeping or insomnia
Mood swings


Some physicians report that women have post-tubal ligation syndrome, which involves irregular and painful periods, bleeding in a mid-cycle, or no menstrual periods. Although some doctors claim there is no proof for the existence of such syndrome, some extra research should be done to confirm it or not.


A great blog that I just found. http://posttuballigationsyndrome.blogspot.com/ I have read portions of this blog and can totally relate to her. I would have to agree, if your thinking about getting a tubal ligation, do not do it.

One of the most destructive things a woman can do to her body is to undergo sterilization. The sterilization process can cause damage and injury to women's reproductive and other vital organs in a number of ways. These conditions are all addressed with FRS, without the need for hysterectomy." - Dr.VGH

These symptoms are very real for me and I will continue to research this. I wished I never had my tubes tied and wish I had been more informed of what could happen after the procedure. I am also still going to look into having a tubal reversal for the hopes that it can possibly alleviate my pain but also allow me the chance to have another child if I so choose.

1 comment:

  1. tubal ligation is quite right when you need no more kids.although it has many side problems but it is rare.Here i want to share that www.mybabydoc.com is a very informative blog for tubal reversal after tubal ligation.

    ReplyDelete